There are many causes of dry skin from the temperature outside to how much moisture is in the air and many types.
Types of Dry Skin
Although is usually temporary, there are types of dry skin that could last year-round. If your dry skin lasts a long time, it could be one of these types:
- Athlete’s foot: If your feet feel dry, it could actually be athlete’s foot. This condition, which results from a fungus, can make the soles of your feet dry and flaky.
- Eczema (atopic dermatitis): If you have dry, red, and itchy parts of your skin, you could have eczema. This can make your skin crack, too. You can get this skin condition from your parents, but things like allergens, stress, and other irritants can make it worse.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: When your scalp is too dry, you can get dandruff. (It’s called cradle cap when babies get it.) You might have dry, flaky skin on your arms, legs, groin, face, ears, or near your bellybutton, too.
Dry Skin Symptoms
Can be different for everyone, since the symptoms will depend on things like your health, your age, and the cause
- Cracked skin (the cracks could be deep and bleed)
- Peeling, flaking, or scaling
- Skin that feels rough or is gray and ashy
- Skin that feels tight, especially after you’ve been in the water (bathing, showering, or swimming)
Treatment and Remedies
Many cases resolve with drinking plenty of water and using moisturizer regularly.
Ingredients to look for include:
- jojoba oil
- hyaluronic acid
- lactic acid
- mineral oil
- shea butter
A doctor will usually prescribe treatments for people with skin conditions, such as eczema.
When an underlying health condition, such as diabetes or anorexia, causes dry skin, doctors will work with the person to get the condition under control.
When is a side effect of a medication, it will usually go away when the person stops taking the drug. However, people should not stop taking prescription medicines without consulting their doctor first.
At Amrita Medical Center, our staff is happy to answer any of your questions and help you decide if the right fit for you. We even offer same day appointments for your convenience. Contact us here!