Urologic diseases or conditions include urinary tract infections, kidney stones, bladder control problems, and prostate problems, among others. Some urologic conditions last only a short time, while others are long-lasting.
The AUAF offers several tips for promoting good urological health in adults and children, including:
• Stay hydrated
• Drink cranberry juice to help prevent urinary tract infections (UTIs)
• Limit the amount of salt and caffeine you consume
• Stay within a healthy weight range
• Choose a smoke-free lifestyle
• Strengthen the muscles of the pelvic area with Kegel exercises
• Encourage children to urinate immediately before bed
• Limit fluid intake in the nighttime hours
• Purchase athletic “cups” for young boys to help prevent injury
• Instruct young girls that they should use a front-to-back motion to wipe the genital area after going to the washroom
It is important to remember that you are the best advocate for your own urological health. Schedule regular checkups with your doctor and make sure to always report any concerning symptoms you develop.